Monday, January 27, 2014

Baking Bread With Jill Bink's Recipe

 
 
This morning Jill sent me her mother-in-law's wonderful zucchini bread chocolate chip recipe.  I knew it sounded fantastic and that I needed to feature it in this blog.  I decided at once that I would have a mission when got home from work.

My Mission: Make Zucchini Bread. 

I was excited all day at work, and I was very eager for my baking expedition to embark after class ended.  In fact, as soon as my sons arrived at school, the first thing I told Carlo was that we were going to be making a special bread together.  I had it all planned out in my mind.  We were going to have an easy and fun baking party that started with some grocery shopping. 

Read below for an outline of how my baking turned out.

5:02 Arrive at Safeway to pick up ingredients.
5:07 Starring at the milk section looking for "Butter cream" instead of "buttermilk."
5:08 Ask random lady with bleach blond hair who looks about my mom's age if she knows what "butter cream" is.
5:15 We are both still looking for "butter cream."
5:16 Store guy overhears our conversation and points me in the right direction for "buttermilk."
5:20-5:30 Pick up other baking supplies and find zucchini which appear to be irregularly small.


5:30 Get in line at the checkout stand.
5:31 When it is our turn to pay Carlo has to go to the bathroom and does the potty dance.


5:32 Proceed to the dirty bathroom and use the potty.
5:40 Go back to the checkout stand and pay.
5:41 Carlo sits on the scale of the "check yourself out line" while someone else is paying.
5:42 Guy checking out says that Carlo is not registering and he may have to return him to the store.
5:43 I decide to buy Carlo and take him home.
6:10 Arrive at home and feed boys dinner.  Eli gets bananas all over himself and his clothes, so I have to throw them in the wash. Eli is naked now.
6:15 Commence baking zucchini break.  I am super excited.
6:20 Carlo helps me put said ingredients into the bowl.

 
6:23 Eli decides to leave the toys in the family room and join us in the kitchen.
6:24 Eli tries to book it up the stairs while I am mixing the ingredients.

 
6:25 I accidentally put the flour in the wrong bowl because I was chasing Eli out of the dishwasher.


6:27 Eli tries to go up the stairs again.


6:32 Add final ingredients and block the doorway with a chair so Eli cannot get out.  Mom:1 Eli: 0.


6:35 Eli pushes the chair out of the way and races to the staircase for the 3rd time Mom:-1 Eli: 3.





6:36 Mix the ingredients in the bowl and place Eli in his high chair with a monster truck.


6:38 Cleaning.
6:45 Gerardo comes home and puts Eli to bed. I make a bottle.


6:47 Bread gets in the oven.
7:15 Call my mom because bread is "jiggly" in bread pan and I am not sure how long to bake.  My mom says banana bread takes about 55  minutes, and that I should have used a 9" square pan.
7:47 Bread comes out of oven and appears done and it smells fantastic.

Mission Accomplished!!!



 




1 cup brown sugar
½ cup sugar
½ cup butter
½ cup oil
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
½ cup buttermilk
2 ½ cups flour
¼ cup cocoa
2 tsp baking soda
½ tsp allspice
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp salt
1 ½ cups grated zucchini
1 cup chocolate chips

Heat oven to 325 degrees F. In a mixing bowl, cream together the sugars, butter, and oil. Add the eggs, vanilla, and buttermilk, and stir well to mix.

In a separate bowl, mix together flour, cocoa, baking soda, allspice, cinnamon, and salt.

Stir the flour mixture into the egg mixture until well combined. Fold in the grated zucchini and chocolate chips. Turn the batter into two greased and floured 9” baking pans (or a 9 x 13 pan). Bake 25-30 minutes or until done. Let cool and frost with your favorite frosting (I like a buttercream on it). Serves 12.

 



1 comment:

Ann Marie said...

I love this! You are such a fantastic multi tasker. I am impressed.